This year has seen its share of cattiness in the world from the entertainment industry to the United States government and everything in between. Together with the help of the AIBC team, I have put together a list of some of the most publicized catty moments of 2013.
12. Amanda Bynes vs. everyone in Hollywood – After making drastic changes to her appearance, several arrests for DUI and marijuana possession, and acting peculiar in public, the former child star took to twitter to make insults. She took aim at the likes of stars such as Miley Cyrus, Cher, Drake, RuPaul, Perez Hilton, Lance Bass, Jenny McCarthy, Rihanna, Chrissy Thiegen, Courtney Love and Jay-Z…. even the President and first lady could not be spared. And what was her favorite insult? I guess when you are grasping for an insult, the proverbial, “You’re ugly” will work in a pinch! Hmmm? I guess people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones?
11. Emmy Rossum mocks Gisele Bundchen breastfeeding– Even if you are a huge advocate for breastfeeding….this is well, just funny! The outspoken supermodel, Budchen, has made some judgmental comments regarding breastfeeding and even taken to posting pics of her multitasking….and it led to an opportunity for a witty mockery of sorts by actress Emmy Rossum. If you can’t beat ’em, join em?
10. Reese Witherspoon takes on the law– She fought the law and the law won! Hollywood’s sweetheart showed her tail after having one too many with her husband and being stopped by state troopers in Georgia. As her husband was being administered a field sobriety test, Ms. Witherspoon turned a bit belligerent and challenged the GA state trooper. After several warnings, she was issued a disorderly conduct citation, but not before she informed him “…You’re about to find out who I am.” I am quite certain he neither cared who she was then and is even far less impressed now! Lesson #1: Even her best June Carter Cash rendition couldn’t have saved her from her own arrogance. Lesson #2: Don’t fight the law unless you ARE the law!
9. Paula Deen vs. Oprah – After being accused of racial slurs and admitting in a court deposition to using them in the past, Ms. Deen saw her once booming food empire crumbling before her eyes by losing her Food Network show and endorsement deals. While Oprah and Deen have been friends for years and have even spent the night at each other’s homes, Oprah responded when asked in an interview about Deen, “Oh my God! I don’t have anything to do with Paula Deen. She is not the first white lady to use the N-word! Good Lord!” Even Oprah can’t help you now, Sugar! You need to stick to talking about “Buttah!”
8. Kanye West feuds with Jimmy Kimmel– After Kimmel ran a video spoof of West’s bizarre BBC interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, West blasted Kimmel in a series of twitter rants that cussed Kimmel saying among other things that Kimmel was a “manipulative media motherf-.” In true Kimmel fashion, the funnyman was able to keep a sense of humor about it all and boasted, “Finally, I’m in a rap feud. I always wanted to be in a rap feud.”
7. Kim Kardashian takes on Katie Couric– The reality star and news anchor had a war of words and hashtags via media outlets after Couric questioned why the Kardashian family was so famous in a magazine interview. Kardashian immediately took to Instagram and Twitter with a photo of the baby gift Couric had sent her along with hashtags “#IHateFakeMediaFriends, #MayIHumblySuggestYouNotSendGiftsThenTalkShit.” I guess Katie learned you just don’t mess with Kimmy!!!
6. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford takes on “the rock”– I guess the Canadian government does things a little differently by the looks of videos and photos that surfaced of the Toronto mayor, Rob Ford, smoking crack cocaine. Ford admitted to smoking the drug “about a year ago in one of my drunken stupors” after months of denying the allegations. Crack is wack, Mayor Ford. Crack is wack!
5. Duck Dynasty insult debacle– Regardless of your stance on what the patriarch of this multi-million dollar “reality show” show shared in a GQ magazine interview, the real catty behavior came into play when the executives of A&E suspended Mr. Robertson indefinitely and then took it back. Oops…what ever happened to “No Takesy Backsies?” I am still scratching my head over this entire situation , but it is no surprise that the executives at A&E decided to “sell their souls to the devil” in order to make the almighty dollar.
4. Miley Cyrus twerks on Sinead’s Nerves – The former Disney star
grinded twerked on Robin Thicke at the VMAs…leaving everyone who viewed the fiasco wanting a cigarette and a shower. The cattiness began when Sinead O’Connor wrote an open letter to Miley warning her of her oversexualized image. Miley then slammed O’Connor via twitter by making a mockery of her previous mental illness. You can read what our very own Nyx had to say about this cat-astrophy here.
3. Edward Snowden vs the NSA– There is a rat in the spy world and his name is Edward Snowden. The former NSA employee leaked privileged spy program information that had Americans and countries all over the world going nuts over privacy concerns. Not only did Snowden swipe documents about the surveillance programs, he was clever enough to know the consequences of his actions would mean prison and thus fled the U.S. seeking exile in first Cuba, then Russia. He was granted asylum by Russia in August. Tsk. Tsk. President Putin, if you are reading this, I hope you enjoy your new spy guy!
2. Pope Francis vs. the traditional Papacy– After Pope Benedict XVI resigned, the first South American and first of the Jesuit order, Pope Francis was elected to replace him. He has struck the world as “different” with a sharp focus on the poor and being less judgmental toward gays and those who’ve had abortions. He has also been outspoken about fixing the scandal-ridden Vatican Bank, connecting to other faiths, and pushing to reform the church into a more welcoming, less rule-bound institution. It seems he will continue his efforts to be a little different than previous popes and I give him a thumbs up!
1. U.S. Government Shutdown vs. the American Public – 16 days of hell was the result of the stand-off between House Republicans and Democrats after failing to pass a bill that would fund the Federal Government. Eventually a bi-partisan agreement was made, but not before the American public saw the likes of federal employment furloughs and national parks closures. PS, U.S. Congressmen, you collectively win the catty bitch of the year award!! I give you two fingers! ( I hope you read sign language.)
Are there any noteworthy catty moments we missed? Let us hear from you.
-Krissi, AIBC Team Member
#amibeingcatty #bestof2013 #yearinreview #worstof2013